Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Driver's Licenses

Driving in Belgium

Tourists/temporary visitors

Tourists and temporary visitors are allowed to drive in Belgium on a valid license from a U.S. state. An International Driver's License is not required but some car rental companies may require one.  The same rule applies for bearers of Belgian driver’s licenses who are temporary visitors to the United States.

International Driver's Licenses are obtainable through the local city administration offices in Belgium, or through the American Automobile Association in the United States.

Renewing your U.S. driver's license

U.S. driver's licenses are state documents and can therefore not be renewed or extended by the federal government. If you need to renew your license, you should contact the Motor Vehicle Department that issued the original license.

List of Motor Vehicle Departments

Click here to retrieve a list of the State Motor Vehicle Departments.

Contact Information

    Consular Section
    Bd du Regentlaan 25
    1000  Brussels

    Mon-Tue-Thu: 2.00 p.m.-4.00 p.m.
    Wed: 8.00 a.m. - 12.00 p.m.
    Fri: 11.00 a.m. - 1.00 p.m.

    Schedule your appointment now
    (a separate appointment per applicant
    and per service is required).

    Mon-Tue-Thu-Fri: 10:00 am-12:00 pm
    Wed: 1:30 p.m.-3:30 p.m.

    No appointment required for pick-ups.

    Google Maps